Fillers can enhance and improve your face – taking years off your appearance. But how do we know when is a good time to get them and what should we get? Here are some facts about fillers that will help you make a more informed decision.
1. Fillers are a term used to refer to a variety of medical products designed to rejuvenate the face by filling in areas of volume loss. Some of the most common brands are Juvederm, Restylane, Sculptra.
2. They target lines, wrinkles and volume loss unlike Botox, which works by relaxing muscles. All fillers must be prepared in syringes and injected using small needles. No surgery or incisions are required.
3. Hyaluronic acid-based fillers, like Juvederm, can last anywhere from six months to a whole year. It has been reported that consistent treatments will give you optimal results and you may need less filler over time.
4. Juvederm contains an anesthetic called lidocaine that helps numb the injected area. As for the others, icing and applying a topical numbing agent will reduce the discomfort during treatment.
5. Fillers work best for areas in the middle and lower third of the face, unlike Botox which is ideal for the upper one third of the face.
6. One of the biggest telltale signs that you are suitable for a filler treatment is a noticeable deepening of the nasolabial folds (these are the deep lines that form next to your mouth, aka marionette lines). If you notice your once-prominent cheekbones deflating, especially when you look at your face at an angle, fillers can help.
7. People also use fillers to get a sharper face with more defined features. For example, fillers can be used to create cheekbones, a higher nose bridge or to create an oval face shape.
8. Last but not least, always seek treatment and advice from a doctor who is board certified in either plastic surgery or dermatology.
Written by Pearlin Siow.